1. What does the last “.” in a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) signify as in: www.microsoft.com.?
2. A primary DNS server is authoritative.
3 A primary DNS database is locally modifiable
4. A secondary DNS server is authoritative.
5. A secondary DNS database is locally modifiable.
6. Windows 2000 DNS can be embedded in Active Directory
7. When DNS is embedded in Active Directory there are no true primary or secondary DNS servers.
8. Traditional DNS databases are manually maintained
9. Windows 2000, as well as most Linux and Unix variants, support DNS that can be automatically updated by other services/daemons running on the network.
10. What other service running on Windows 2000 advises the DNS service of a new client on the local network?
11. What type of name does a WINS server register?
12. What computer service does the name “Tech09 <20>” represent?
Server Service on the computer Tech09
13. DHCP is an extension of which older protocol?
BOOTstraP or BOOTP
14. What ports do both of these protocols use?
15. What file on the local computer stores this information?
16. What is the base function of DHCP?
Automatically assign IP addresses
17. DHCP can instruct the local computer about which domain name, DNS and WINS servers, and which default gateways to use.
18. It is useful to be able to manage your printers using DHCP
19. What feature of DHCP is used to ensure that an HP JetDirect (or Oce) print server always gets the IP address?
20. What feature of the print server must be entered into the above DHCP feature to ensure that the IP address is assigned to the correct print server?
21. Which older protocol is this DHCP feature directly analogous to?
22. Which protocol is used currently to manage dial-up connections to ISPs?
23. Which feature of this protocol is critical to operating a TCP/IP network?
Assign IP addresses
24. Which extension this protocol can be used to bundle two ISDN channels together into a single session? (Note: it can also bundle two POTS connections into a single session, but it is generally not used for this purpose because DSL is cheaper and faster)
25. What channels characterize ISDN BRI service?
2B + D
26. What are the capacities of these channels?
B = 64 kbps/D = 16 kbps
27. What channels characterize ISDN PRI service?
23B + D
28. What are the capacities of these channels?
B = 64 kbps/D = 64 kbps
29. ISDN PRI service is equivalent to what standard telephone local loop service level?
30. Microsoft point-to-point tunneling protocol (PPTP) uses which encapsulation?
Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE)
31. What is the IP protocol for this encapsulation transport (see web site)?
32. IPSec uses which protocol for ensuring sender authenticity (class notes)?
33. What is its IP protocol number (web site)?
33. IPSec uses which protocol for encrypting the data payload of a packet (class notes)?
Encapsulating Security Payload
34. What is its IP protocol number (web site)?
35. A Microsoft domain uses which kind of security:
a. peer-to-peer security model
b. user level security model
c. zero-knowledge security model
36. What is the Unix-based security tool that is currently used by Microsoft in Windows 2000 domain model of user level security (note: this name is the latinized version of Cerberus the three-headed dog that guarded the gates of hell – anyone recognize Fluffy from Harry Potter?)?
37. A Microsoft print server manages which of the following functions (select all that apply):
a. the printer driver
b. the print queue
c. the print device
d. the client application
e. the printer
f. the print spooler
38. Print pooling allows multiple print devices using the same print driver to be attached to the same print icon on the desktop (or in the printers toolbox);
39. Raid level 0 offers redundancy;
40. Raid level 1 services provided by Microsoft provide effective redundancy:
41 If you needed Raid level 5 services on a computer running Windows 2000 you would use
a. Microsoft Raid services
b. A hardware raid service
c. It doesn’t make any difference as performance is equivalent
42. Once you have established and implemented a backup plan what step should you perform before you archive any data?
Test it by doing a restore
43. Which strategy requires the most effort, in general, to perform a restore:
b. Differential, only
c. Incremental, only
44. Which strategy will generally require more time to perform a backup as the week progresses?
45. When will one usually perform a full backup?
Period of extended quiet on weekend
Backups will occupy most of the computers resources. Backup during work hours slows work.
47. What is the advantage in terms of Windows boot disks to using the same hardware/OS configuration for all of your servers and for all of your client computers?
One boot disk will work with all computers.
48. What other equipment is needed to use the Windows Emergency Repair Disk (ERD)?
49. Can the ERD be booted?
50. Every Windows 2000 server backup should contain which item in addition to the file systems that require backup?