Make your written replies short and to the point
Please hand write any resubmissions & turn in by Thursday class (5/16/2002)
1. What does CSMA/CD stand for?
2. The CS portion performs which function?
3. The MA function represents which capability?
4. The CD function represents which capability?
5. A full mesh network connecting 7 stations will require how many connections:
6. How will a star-bus or hybrid topology network respond if a computer fails?
7. How will a bus topology network respond if a computer fails?
8. How will a star-bus topology network respond if a switch goes down?
9. What is the maximum cable run for a 100BASE-Tx network?
10. What is the maximum cable run for a 10BASE5 network?
11. What is the maximum cable run for a 10BASE2 Network?
12. What does the 5-4-3 rule represent?
13. What are the 7 layers of the OSI model?
14. What two addresses characterize Ethernet at the Layer 2? Give the answer in the order seen in the E’net frame.
15. What two addresses characterize the TCP/IP layer 3? Give in the order seen in the packet.
16. What two values represent the application to which the layer 4 segment will deliver the payload data. Give in the order seen in the segment.
17. What is the destination address of an ARP request?
18. What is the ethertype of an ARP packet?
19. What is the ethertype of a DNS request?
20. What is the protocol type for ICMP?
21. In which header will this protocol type appear?
22. What is the protocol type for a packet whose payload is destined for the TCP stack:
23. What is the protocol type for a packet whose payload is destined for the UDP portion of the layer 4 stack:
24. What are the four different types of Ethernet frame that are commonly seen:
a. DIX EthernetII
e. 802.5 SNAP
g. 802.3 SNAP
i. 802.3 Novell
j. FDDI SNAP
25. Contrary to the text (Figure 3-3), only three layers of the OSI model actually result in encapsulation of the previous layer in a new header (an possibly a trailer). What are they?
26. Which layer usually adds a trailer?
27. What is it called in Ethernet (abbreviation and full text)?
28. What will the IPX/SPX address for a host be if it is on a network called FEEDFACE and it has a MAC address of 00-0c-b0-4a-de-03?
29. TCP is considered which sort of protocol:
30. NetBEUI is a routable protocol:
31. As such it will have a fully developed OSI network layer structure:
32. As such it will have a fully developed OSI transport layer structure:
33. IEEE protocol 802.1d represents which protocol (use internet)?
34. What does this protocol use to communicate (from text)?
35. UTP stands for?
36. STP stands for?
37. How many connectors are in an RJ-45 connector?
38. Will an RJ-45 jack from 10BASE-T cabling work reliably for a 1000BASE-T connection?
39. Will and RJ-45 jack from 1000BASE-T cabling work reliably for 10BASE-T connections?
40. If a fiber-optic cable has a core diameter of 6 microns, will it be single- or multi- mode?
41. If a fiber-optic cable has a core diameter of 62.5 microns will it be single- or multi- mode?
42. If you connect a pair of switches together, what kind of cabling is required for proper operation?
43. If you connect a router to a switch what kind of cable is required?
44. If you connect a computer to a hub what kind of cable is required?
45. If you connect a router directly to a computer what kind of cable is required?
46. Your client to your ISPs mail server downloads the mail to the local computer. What port (changed from protocol, May 10, @ 12:30 P.M.) number does it use to access the mail server for the download:
47. Your mail client is sending mail to your ISP’s mail server for delivery to a remote station. Which port (changed from protocol, May 10, @ 12:30 P.M.) number will it use:
48. Which transport protocol will it use to send the mail:
49. In which field of the header selected in 48 will the port number (changed from protocol, May 13 @ 7:00 A.M.) selected in 47 be inserted?
50. Which three address ranges are reserved in RFC 1918 for private use:
e. 172.16.0.0/255.240.0.0 (changed from 255.248.0.0, May 10, @ 12:30 P.M.)
51. For the network 10.32.0.0/255.248.0.0, what address range will be included in the network:
a. 10.32.0.0 – 10.35.0.0
b. 10.32.0.0 – 10.47.0.0
c. 10.32.0.0 – 10.39.0.0
d. 10.32.0.0 - 10.32.43.0.0
e. 10.32.0.0 – 10.36.0.0
52. What is a fast way to determine this number of network values included when you are given the mask in decimal form?
53. What is the network range for default Class A networks?
54. What is the network range for default Class B networks?
55. What is the network range for default Class C networks?
56. What does Ping IP address test?
57. What does PING Computername test?
58. What does the tracert output show?
59. What is the APIPA address range?
60. Who registered this range with IANA?
61. RIP is which kind of routing protocol?
a. Link State
b. Distance Vector
c. Distance Path
62. RIP advertises its:
a. Its entire routing table to all associated routers
b. Changes in its routing table to its neighbors (out every interface)
c. Its full routing table to its neighbors (out every working interface)
d. Changes to all associated routers
63. How often does it advertise?
64. What is the Ethernet broadcast address?
65. On the network 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 what will the IP broadcast address be?
66. What special activity does the MAC address 01-00-5e-06-03-0c represent?
67. What is the most probable IP address that sourced this address (represent the first byte of the IP address with an X because it cannot be know from this data)?
68. OSPF tells what about itself when it advertises to the network (choose all)?
a. Its interfaces
b. Their speeds
c. Their status
d. Its name (or reference IP address)
69. OSPF is which kind of routing protocol:
a. Link State
b. Distance Vector
c. Distance Path
70. BGP4 (Border Gateway Protocol, ver. 4) is typically used:
a. On large corporate LANs
b. To route between routing domains on the internet
c. On small LANs
d. Only on old legacy LANs
71. What is the main function of ICMP?
72. What is stored in the ARP table?
73. Which MS tool allows you to examine the NetBIOS configuration of your local computer or of a remote computer?
74. If you wish to examine the NetBIOS functions associated with the remote computer Tech09, what command would you issue in a MS Windows 2000 computer?
75. If you wish to examine the NetBIOS functions associated with the remote computer 10.2.14.59, what command would you issue in a MS Windows 2000 computer?
76. What is an advantage of using a print queue server?
77. What does a DNS server do?
78. How does a Token Ring client send a message/packet onto the network:
a. It seizes a token when it is available, modifies it, and attaches it data
b. It broadcasts the message into the transmission medium
c. It waits until it is queried for a message
79. Windows active directory is based on which service:
a. Network Information Service (NIS/NIS+)
c. Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP)
d. X .400
e. Novell Directory Service
f. Directory Access Protocol (DAP)
80. Public key cryptography uses:
a. Symmetric keys
b. Asymmetric keys
c. Shared secret keys